Meet my new favourite banana bread. And it’s vegan 😉
I love homemade banana bread. It’s great for breakfast on-the-go, it’s wonderful paired with coffee and it’s perfect for satisfying that rash sugar craving that makes you raid your fridge and pantry (and then hate yourself afterwards for giving in to it).
Banana bread isn’t something I usually order when I go out because it’s usually ridden with sugar and smothered with frosting. I just want plain banana bread. No fluff. Just banana bread. So this recipe turned out perfect for satisfying that banana bread craving – yes, that craving exists!
Some ugly over-ripe bananas were sitting on the kitchen counter the other week. So I thought to myself, how can I transform these ugly mushy bananas into something fit for human consumption? Banana bread, of course.
I enjoy heading over to The Kitchn and checking out their recipes as they always turn out great. I searched their website for a vegan banana bread recipe, but couldn’t find one so what I did was “veganize” their traditional banana bread recipe.
Since I subbed almond milk for dairy milk called for in the recipe, I added 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar to slightly thicken it. If you are using dairy milk, you can omit the vinegar.
I was so pleased to see my vegan banana bread turned out light, super moist and subtly spiced finished with a golden brown oh-so-perfect crust. It’s healthy, quick, easy, foolproof and extremely delicious.
Seriously, go make it.
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chilled coconut oil
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: ½ cup - 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F.
- Grease and flour a 9" loaf pan.
- Roughly chop toasted walnuts and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes (it will thicken a little).
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the chilled coconut oil and light brown sugar. Add mashed bananas, vanilla extract and milk mixture.
- Add the dry mixture to wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes, then flip loaf out onto a wire rack to cool.
- You can use gluten-free flour in place of the white flour.
- You can also throw in vegan chocolate chips.
- The darker and uglier your bananas, the stronger the banana flavour.